Man Develops Infection in His Skull After Cleaning Ear With Cotton Swab

A man developed a near-fatal infection that spread to the lining of his brain because of cotton swab. Doctors say over the past 5 years the man had been experiencing pain and hearing loss in his ear. He also had severe headaches and difficulty remembering names. It wasn’t until he had a seizure they discovered a piece of a cotton swab stuck in his ear was causing his severe medical issues. Doctors say the man had likely contracted a severe bacterial infection that began in the ear canal, moved into the base of his skull, and eventually into the lining of his brain. The man required two months of intravenous and oral antibiotics to fight the infection, but did not suffer any long-term problems.

 

title

Content Goes Here