A Churchville-Chili student is accused of making a threat against the high school over social media on Monday, April 2. The student, a juvenile, is charged with making a terroristic threat, falsely reporting an incident and endangering the welfare of a child. Investigators said it was a “credible” threat. "We're not releasing the specific terminology so that it does not lead to copycat-like threats," said Deputy Chief Michael Fowler of the Monroe County Sheriff's Office. "But it was a threat, a threat against the lives of the students and staff at the school." Deputies said the school district was notified of the alleged incident on the day of the initial report. The district reportedly told deputies the student was not permitted on school grounds as the investigation was conducted. Deputies said no one was in danger.
Investigators said there were no previous red flags with the student.In a statement released Wednesday night, Sheriff Todd Baxter said, "The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office takes all threats seriously and actively began investigating this matter as soon as it was reported and brought to our attention. We will not tolerate any threats or acts of violence, especially against our most precious, our children. We immediately began working in collaboration with the Churchville-Chili School District to ensure all students were safe and continue to do so. Thank you to those individuals who reported the suspicious activity to authorities. We encourage all residents, parents, students, staff, and faculty to remain vigilant and aware of your surroundings.”
In the same written statement, released by Sheriff's deputies, Superintendent Orologio wrote, "On April 2, during our spring recess, law enforcement informed us that a student had posted a threat to our high school on social media and that they were investigating. After the investigation began, we also received reports about the threat through our anonymous helpline last week. We want to let the school community know that the student was not permitted to return to school this week while the investigation continued and at no time were students or staff in danger. As always, we ask that if any student or parent has first-hand knowledge of a threat to the school, now or at any time, you contact our Safe School Helpline at 1-800-418-6423, extension 359, visit the Safe School Helpline website or download the Safe School Helpline app. This information is posted on our website at www.cccsd.org. In addition, you may contact any administrator or the director of security at 293-1800 extension 2030.”
The student is due back in Monroe County Family Court at a later date.